General What do you think of this business idea - walk-in refrigerators to get chill hours for fruit trees?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
Certain fruit trees (a lot, actually), you can't really grow in the south because they won't produce fruit, or produce very little or don't do it reliably - pretty much every apple tree, cherry tree, plum tree, most peach trees, pear trees, the list is long. That is because most fruit trees need a certain number of "chill hours" during the winter (generally hours where temp is 45f or below). But to someone living in the south that likes to grow their own fruit and wants one of those fruit trees, I bet being able to get the chill hours would be a GADWSEND.

So, I was thinking about the numbers. You can buy a walk-in refrigerator relatively cheap. I looked. Let's call it $4,000.

And lets say it can hold 20 trees at any one time (these will have to be potted trees of course, which most home growers will be fine with as you don't need a freaking full size tree in the ground to produce more fruit that you want during the summer). And let's say that each tree requires 800 "chill hours".

So, from, call it September 1 through April 1, my refrigerator could offer up 7 months of chill hours, x20 (it could offer chill hours at other times of the year too, but as a practical matter those are the months that people will want their trees outside in the warm weather fruiting). So 7 months of chill hours let's say. 7 months equals 213 days. 213 x 24 hours in a day is 5,110 chill hours. Multiply that by 20 (the number of trees your refrigerator can hold at any one time), and you get 102,200 chill hours.

NOW. Let's say you just charged everyone 5 freaking cents per chill hour, and you could manage full capacity. That would be $5110 (102,200 chill hours total multiplied by 5 cents, or .05 for you slow ones) you earn EVERY YEAR. So, given that you only bought the walk-in refrigerator for $4,000, you are earning like a 127% return on your investment every. Freaking. Year. And for an 800 hour chill tree, that works out to only $40 per tree for the payor. And if you don't think some rich fuks that can afford to buy a bunch of fruit trees would be willing to shell out only $40 per fruit tree per year to make it have a marvelous fruiting result, I would beg to differ.

Thoughts? This seems like a license to print money...

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
No
Not enough lights

Even on chill days/hours sunlight is important

Recalculate Equation

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
What the HELL Rambo? Most trees are freaking dormant during the winter. They need very little light (if any). I could simply buy some cheap LED light to stick in the refrigerator to give them way more than they need, at a cost of probably $20 a year LOL...

Harlem

Supporter - TMMAC
Feb 25, 2015
Once they lose their leaves and go dormant, they don’t need sunlight. They can be kept in a shed as long as they don’t freeze. His idea is valid, I just don’t know how cost effective it would be as a business unless he could expand to more than 20 trees or a larger service.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Trees are not accustomed genetically to no sunlight or water during dormancy. Photosynthesis obviously doesn’t occur but imo putting them in a freezer/refrigerator is how they die.
The fact that not enough people know how it all works even if it does is a testament to the lack of revenue you'd make.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Once they lose their leaves and go dormant, they don’t need sunlight. They can be kept in a shed as long as they don’t freeze. His idea is valid, I just don’t know how cost effective it would be as a business unless he could expand to more than 20 trees or a larger service.
No
OP's
idea is bad

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I like the idea. You should do it and report back on the money lost on dead trees, electricity costs, and the walk in refrigerator cost, then we can recalculate how much you are going to charge for each fruit of the plants that didn't go into the walkin refrigerator. Surely there's a market for $20 oranges.