Anyone ditch the Gi?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

PaleAndGangly

Pro Member
Oct 20, 2015
I would think there would be more injuries in no gi. It has a bit of a faster pace and tends to be more leg-lock heavy.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I just packed up to move house. I'm a no stripe white who hasn't trained in a decade or so but I kept the gi. It's in my storage unit ready for when I make my run at the belts next year.

Vulcan pro lite.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Our coach left state and we kept the gym going for a good 6 months after. Pretty much no gi the whole time. I still feel like I enjoy both. Finally recovering from my surgery though. It’s been 3 months no training. I’ve found a local mma gym in my town. Only grappling once a week though. Think I’m gonna split my time there and a sister bjj gym of theirs about half hour away. Should be getting in one day gi one no gi and one/two days boxing/kickboxing

RickeyF3

Lurker
Aug 11, 2023
Yes, many individuals in the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu community have chosen to step away from gi training for various reasons, including injury prevention, comfort, and personal preference. Training without the gi (often referred to as "no-gi" training) involves grappling without the traditional uniform, which can be more comfortable for some practitioners and can reduce the risk of certain types of injuries that might occur when training with the gi.

In gi training, the uniform can provide grips and handles that allow for a different set of techniques and strategies. However, it can also lead to strain on joints and tendons due to the increased friction and leverage that comes from gripping the fabric. No-gi training tends to be faster-paced and more focused on positional control and quick transitions.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I enjoyed nogi bjj and nogi judo more than the gi. My judo school only did one day of nogi though a week

lamarclark09

Oct 20, 2022
To be honest I face this situation where I really want to quit. For people, there are many reasons to quit the GI, BJJ MMA, etc. because of injuries but it is slightly different in my case. At a moment I also reached where Gi was not more fun to me it became a headache, maybe because of my coach, or teammates. I am a very motivated person but still I lost my confidence and felt completely useless.

Sugar Rey Palpatine

Jul 9, 2021
I try to train both regularly but I like Gi more. The last couple years, when I was actually able to do training of any kind, was mainly nogi because I was in Krav Maga. I switched back to BJJ for a month that did both but in my first day of class I re-injured my knee to the point that I couldn't walk. I would show up for techniques and drilling but had to sit out sparring. I did it for a month then just left for physical therapy which helped out tremendously and was able to walk without limping severely or hop around on one leg. Now I'm concentrating on school because martial arts aren't going to pay the bills but when I get my degree I want to get back into it then. Specifically Krav because I want to become an instructor at my old dojo.