Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Yes, I agree

I go for quick results because my lot is small, I prefer raised beds and I do order large piles of soil for pots and beds(10+)

I only mention a larger operation because I am under the impression that he has a much greater size lot than I. Probably a lot of work to transform it into super fertile ground.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm on a little over a 3rd of an acre, but my land has a fairly steep slope, so I basically am just patio growing in raised beds and pots. I think sparkuri @sparkuri has a good size piece of dirt.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The humidity of such a place scares me
What type of cult uniform do you have in mind? what color garb?

Not sure.
I'm in a particular community and took a poll on exactly that.
They had Trump winning 51-49.
So I'm thinking George Carlin sweaters.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm on a little over a 3rd of an acre, but my land has a fairly steep slope, so I basically am just patio growing in raised beds and pots. I think sparkuri @sparkuri has a good size piece of dirt.
I enjoy viewing what you do on that patio

The spot I live on has tiny lot , less than a quarter of an acre, the yield is amazing but I have no more space for trees or anything else...amazing soil. flat but small.

Our growing zones are quite different, you seem to have endless greens to harvest.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I enjoy viewing what you do on that patio

The spot I live on has tiny lot , less than a quarter of an acre, the yield is amazing but I have no more space for trees or anything else...amazing soil. flat but small.

Our growing zones are quite different, you seem to have endless greens to harvest.
I've stayed away from the larger footprint veggies like cabbage and broccoli, and focused more on high intensity plantings of smaller veggies, and honestly I've surprised myself with how much food I can grow in the space I have. I grow far more than I can eat, so I drop food off at my mom's, aunt's, and 3 other friends' houses fairly regularly.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
1000001692.jpg
1000001693.jpg
I'm processing some lettuce today doing cut and come again and rinsing in a 3 water bucket system.
1000001694.jpg
Here are some regrowths that will be ready for their final cut in another week or so. The long stems show they want to bolt. I'll get 3 total cuts out of these when all is said and done. I get 3-5 cuts from any given plant typically, except in summer where I'll get 2.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
you are spoiled
Last night I ordered 2 pink lemonade blueberry plants, 20 bare root albion strawberry plants, 4 bonnie plants strawberry plants (no cultivar listed, just the brand...I think they are June bearing though), 4 spicy slice jalepeno plants, 2 serrano pepper plants, 2 tobasco pepper plants, and 2 lavendar (looks like french lavendar, but cultivar wasn't listed) from lowes. Should be swimming in berries this summer and fall.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Last night I ordered 2 pink lemonade blueberry plants, 20 bare root albion strawberry plants, 4 bonnie plants strawberry plants (no cultivar listed, just the brand...I think they are June bearing though), 4 spicy slice jalepeno plants, 2 serrano pepper plants, 2 tobasco pepper plants, and 2 lavendar (looks like french lavendar, but cultivar wasn't listed) from lowes. Should be swimming in berries this summer and fall.
Nice
We go huge on berries...We have pink lemonade BB, I think you will like it

I could send you a Chesterberry cane start if you want, a thornless XL tasty blackberry cane BB

Lavender turns you trans tho so be careful

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Nice
We go huge on berries...We have pink lemonade BB, I think you will like it

I could send you a Chesterberry cane start if you want, a thornless XL tasty blackberry cane BB

Lavender turns you trans tho so be careful
Do I need a cross polinator for pink lemonade?

That's nice of you, but I think I've got my hands full at the moment with new plantings. I should have gone with thornless when I bought my other blackberry plants, but you live and you learn I guess.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Do I need a cross polinator for pink lemonade?

That's nice of you, but I think I've got my hands full at the moment with new plantings. I should have gone with thornless when I bought my other blackberry plants, but you live and you learn I guess.
we have Logan berry and chesterberry non thornless, and marionberry has tiny death thorns on it
I prefer chesterberry and marionberry berries myself

I don't think you need a cross pollinator for PL BB, but I have 6-8 very large BB bushes in a row in my front yard so I can't speak from experience...almost every tiny flower turns to berry for us

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
we have Logan berry and chesterberry non thornless, and marionberry has tiny death thorns on it
I prefer chesterberry and marionberry berries myself

I don't think you need a cross pollinator for PL BB, but I have 6-8 very large BB bushes in a row in my front yard so I can't speak from experience...almost every tiny flower turns to berry for us
The description on Lowes said they are self polinating, but the more I read, the more it looks like it isn't (or doesn't do well without cross pollination). I didn't factor that in, so this kind of REALLY SUCKS.
If you're looking for a new variety of berry, the Anne raspberry is incredible. Tastes sooooo good. The exotic color is one thing, but the taste is on another level. The deviant in color is what attracted me to the pink lemonade actually.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The description on Lowes said they are self polinating, but the more I read, the more it looks like it isn't (or doesn't do well without cross pollination). I didn't factor that in, so this kind of REALLY SUCKS.
If you're looking for a new variety of berry, the Anne raspberry is incredible. Tastes sooooo good. The exotic color is one thing, but the taste is on another level. The deviant in color is what attracted me to the pink lemonade actually.
I wouldn't jump to "it sucks" so quickly, you might be suprised
My Pink lemonade bush stays pure and only produces the pink fruit blueberries(mid/late season), yet it is planted near 5 other varieties.

In my experience don't always believe the label or internet, individual results will vary(so many variables).

I don't do much raspberries anymore because I plant in ground and raspberries run//spread like a mofo

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
1000001733.jpg
1000001732.jpg
I just put the blueberry bulbs in pots. I couldn't find any acidic organic soul at lowes, so I just mixed a grip of peat moss in with the potting soil to help with lowering the pH. I am going to find some elemental sulfur pearls to sprinkle over the top before mulching.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
1000001731.jpg
I planted the 4 unlabeled strawberries into pots, then will put my bare root albion strawberries into pots on Saturday. I mixed the soil and added peat (no where close to as much as with the blueberries) to give it a bit of acidity. I filled up and fertilized the other pots for the bare root albions, but I didn't have the time to soak the roots, so everything is ready to go.
1000001730.jpg
1000001729.jpg
Peppers all potted up, just need to figure out a good home for them so watering, spraying, and picking is easy. 2 Serrano, 2 tobasco, 4 "spicy slice" jalepeno (hopefully that have "some" heat, bit I'm skeptical).

Attachments

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
View attachment 99402
View attachment 99403
I just put the blueberry bulbs in pots. I couldn't find any acidic organic soul at lowes, so I just mixed a grip of peat moss in with the potting soil to help with lowering the pH. I am going to find some elemental sulfur pearls to sprinkle over the top before mulching.
never heard of a blueberry bulb and that doesn't look right, is that like a root cutting?

Last edited:

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
View attachment 99404
I planted the 4 unlabeled strawberries into pots, then will put my bare root albion strawberries into pots on Saturday. I mixed the soil and added peat (no where close to as much as with the blueberries) to give it a bit of acidity. I filled up and fertilized the other pots for the bare root albions, but I didn't have the time to soak the roots, so everything is ready to go.
View attachment 99406
View attachment 99407
Peppers all potted up, just need to figure out a good home for them so watering, spraying, and picking is easy. 2 Serrano, 2 tobasco, 4 "spicy slice" jalepeno (hopefully that have "some" heat, bit I'm skeptical).
Those look happy
Pepper varieties sound very nice

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
never heard of a blueberry bulb and that doesn't look right
Explain what you mean. I received 2 plants with circling roots set in loose soil. The top of each plant had the crown, but they were listed as bulbs inside the box and on the receipt (blueberry lemonade blueberry bulbs). I know fuckall about blueberries, so I was just going on what they were listed as on paperwork. I took the rootball and split it up the middle with my fingers about 75%, then flattened them out in a trench so the roots could spread wide as opposed to growing straight down. I went off of online blueberry guides for that. If I fucked it all up I'm out $30 for the 2 plants.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Explain what you mean. I received 2 plants with circling roots set in loose soil. The top of each plant had the crown, but they were listed as bulbs inside the box and on the receipt (blueberry lemonade blueberry bulbs). I know fuckall about blueberries, so I was just going on what they were listed as on paperwork. I took the rootball and split it up the middle with my fingers about 75%, then flattened them out in a trench so the roots could spread wide as opposed to growing straight down. I went off of online blueberry guides for that. If I fucked it all up I'm out $30 for the 2 plants.
Ok, got it

I just don't see leaves didn't know how long they have been potted/sprouting/etc...

I always bought them as 16+ inch plants or so, they only shoot a few canes per year.

They will probably take some time, I wouldn't worry too much about ph an all when they are early
We didn't really adjust PH until year 3-4 and we have some 5+ foot monsters

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
After looking at the receipt I'm actually out $60 if I fucked these up. Didn't realize they were almost $30 each. $200 order total and wasn't paying attention, as normal. Whooops.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Ok, got it

I just don't see leaves didn't know how long they have been potted/sprouting/etc...

I always bought them as 16+ inch plants or so, they only shoot a few canes per year.

They will probably take some time, I wouldn't worry too much about ph an all when they are early
We didn't really adjust PH until year 3-4 and we have some 5+ foot monsters
They are both just little sticks with buds just sprouting out. They are coming out of dormancy and are obviously young canes, but I have no idea on age. Hoping for some berries in July, but not expecting much.